… it is Viennese, and that’s that ….
There is nothing that says Christmas more than a this little crescent-shaped cookie called Vanillekipferl. It is the star of any and every household’s cooking repertoire. It is the pride of every self-respecting wife, mother, grandmother, and sometimes even husband, father, and I am not so sure about grandfather …. It belongs in every and all cookbooks.
The principal is easy. You take ….
- Roasted Hazelnuts (NO almonds, PLEASE !!!!!!!)
- Plenty of good Butter (and NO, Margarine will NOT do)
- Maybe even an egg … if you have to
- and of course Vanilla
…. and you go from this ….
… to this …
It is the easiest cookie to make …. it is the easiest cookie to get wrong …. but do not despair … if it doesn’t look like a kipferl, if will always taste like a kipferl ….
- 550 g All purpose Flour
- 600 g Butter
- 170 g Icing Sugar
- 300 g Roasted Hazelnuts
- A pinch of cinnamon powder (the best you can find)
- One twist of your spice mill loaded with Cloves
- Icing Sugar with Vanilla-bean immersed in it for at least a couple of weeks (you can of course use Vanillin if you so feel inclined)
- Keep the ingredients cool and mix quickly to a smooth dough
- Keep in the fridge for an hour to relax and let the spices macerate
- form to crescents and bake at 210C until golden
- Dust with the “VanilleSugar” while still hot
And now, HURRY … it’s Christmas already ….
So, now I can go back to dreaming of Vanillekipferl ….. maybe I should get baking and ….