Well, not quite.
Like these yellow dates …
Everybody who knows me, knows that I start seeing cakes, when I pass a sight like this. Here in Lebanon people do not bake much with fruits. They are eaten either fresh, dried or conserved in sugar ….
…. stuffed and dipped in chocolate and rolled in all sorts of things, like these beauties from AlBaba in Saida.
So, if I want a cake I have to get cooking myself. Here is my favorite cake with dates.
Ingredients for cake:
225 g Dry dates (without stone)
250 ml Water
30 g Butter (at room temperature)
110 g Granulated sugar
2 pc Eggs
200 g All purpose flour
12 g Baking soda
12 g Baking powder
70 g Brown almonds whole ground
25 g Candied Orange Peel
Ingredients for glaze:
180 ml Fresh orange juice
75 g Granulated sugar
100 g Dry dates (without stone)
100 g Skinless almonds halves
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Butter a 22 cm cake spring-form and dust with flour
- Chop the dates into quarters and place into a bowl
- Bring the water to a boil and pour over the dates
- Set aside to cool
- Mix the softened butter with the sugar and beat using a hand mixer
- Add the eggs and continue beating until mixture is smooth and creamy
- Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Grind the almonds finely and add to the flour
- Chop the orange peel into small cubes
- Add the butter mixture to the completely cooled date mixture
- Add the chopped orange peel and fold in the flour
- Pour this mixture into your buttered and floured spring-form
- Bake at 180 C for about 35 min
- Test with a toothpick to make sure cake is cooked, but do not over bake
- Bring the orange juice and sugar to a boil
- Cut the dates into halves and add to the hot orange juice
- On the still hot cake arrange the date halves and pour the hot juice over the cake
- Decorate with the almonds halves
- Let cool completely
- Take out of the cake ring and display on your favorite cake plate.